Biographies Of World's Famous Personalities Ally Web DirectoryPremium Web Directory
img leftimg div
img divimg right
Wordpress Themes PHPLB Themes PHPLD Themes Site-Sift Themes
Celebrities Biographies Latest Gadgets Funny Jokes Automobile Reviews

Walt Disney Biography

Posted On March 1st, 2016 By Celebrity Biographies

Walt Disney Biography

Walt Disney

Walt Disney was an American entrepreneur, motion picture and television producer, cartoonist, animator and a voice actor. His contributions to the entertainment industry, in the 20th century, is unparalleled. He is known throughout the world and is regarded as the cultural icon in the animation industry. He along with his brother co-founded the famous “The Walt Disney Company” and also created the “Disneyland”.

Walter Elias “Walt” Disney was born on December 5, 1901, at 2156 North Tripp Avenue in Hermosa section of Chicago, Illinois. He was born to Elias Charles Disney, who was Irish-Canadian, and Flora Call Disney, who was of German-English descent. Elias married Flora on January 1, 1888, in the place called Acron in Florida. It’s located roughly 40 miles from where Walt Disney World was later developed. Walter was one of five children. He had three brothers and a sister. He lived most of childhood in Marceline, Missouri. It was here that he developed an interest for drawings and paintings, mostly inspired by his neighbor’s horse called Rupert. Walter also developed an interest for trains soon after, as his uncle Mike Martin was an engineer with the railroad and his route included going through Marceline, where he would signal Walter and his brother, either by waving or by a long train whistle, followed by two short ones. Hearing the signal the two brothers would run to a high ground and watch the train go by.

Walt Disney and his younger sister Ruth joined the new Park School of Marceline in the year 1990. However, in the year 1911, the family had to move to Kansas City where Walt and sister Ruth joined the Benton Grammar School at 3004 Benton Boulevard. It was at this school that he met Walter Pfeiffer, who came from the family of theater experts. He introduced Walt to the world of vaudeville (which is a performance made up of a series of separate, unrelated acts grouped together on a common bill, a popular genre from 1880 to 1930’s.) and to motion pictures. Soon Walter was spending a lot of time at Pfeiffer’s house and at Kansas City Art Institute. In July 1911, Walt’s father Elias bought a paper route for “The Kansas City Star”. Walt and his brother Roy took the responsibility of delivering the newspapers. The duo delivered the morning newspaper called the Kansas City Times to over 700 people and then delivered the evening edition to 600 people. Walt would wake up at 4:30 A.M. and would deliver the newspapers till the school bells rang. Then he would distribute the evening edition since 4 P.M. right up till supper. He used to get so exhausted that he often slept in his class and his grades dropped drastically. He continued delivering newspapers for nearly six years and then his family moved to Chicago in 1917. Here Walt attended the McKinley High School and took the night classes at Chicago Academy of Fine Arts. He became a contributing cartoonist for his school paper, drawing patriotic subjects from World War I. When he was 16, he dropped school, in hopes of joining the army, but he was rejected on grounds of being underage. So Walt joined Red Cross instead, and soon he was sent to France where he drove an ambulance for a year. In 1919, Walt came back to Kansas in search of a job. But nobody hired him either as an ambulance driver or a cartoonist. His elder brother Roy, who was working at a local bank at that time, got him a temporary job at Pesmen-Rubin Art Studio. Here he met the cartoonist Ubbe Iwerks, and soon the idea of starting their own company came into being. They opened the company called “Iwerks-Disney Commercial Artists” but it was short lived and soon Walt has to leave it, to temporarily work at Kansas City Film Ad Company, in order to earn some money. He started making cutout animation based commercials here and readily became interested in animation. He soon switched to cel animation from cutout animation as it proved to be more efficient for him and decided to open his own animation business from there.

Walt Disney recruited a co-worker from Film Ad Company, named Fred Harman, as his first employee. Together they created modernized fairy tale cartoons called Laugh-O-Grams. These cartoons became immensely popular because of which Walt was able to purchase his own studio which he named as Laugh-O-Grams. He hired few more artists and animators for the studio, including Fred Harman’s brother Hugh Harman, Rudolf Ising, and his previous business partner and now a close friend Ubbe Iwerks. They did great initially, with their seven minutes fairy tale acts called Alice in Cartoonland, which consisted of both live performances and animation. However, the studio’s profits were not high enough to pay the high salaries of the staff, leading to unpaid debts and eventual bankruptcy.

Walt and his brother Roy moved to Hollywood, and two months later, they pooled in their money and started a studio. Virginia Davis, who was the star of the Disney’s live-action performances, also moved to Hollywood with her family on special request of Walt Disney. So did his old partner Ubbe Iwerks and family. Here the three began the Disney Brother’s Studio. Walt hired an ink-and-celluloid-paint artist named Lillian Bounds in the year 1925. They fell in love and got married in the same year.

Walt and Roy needed a new distributor for their series called Alice Comedies. So they contacted New York’s distributor Margaret Winkler, who was really keen in this distribution deal. The first episode of the series was called “Alice’s Day At Sea” and was delivered on 26th December 1923. The Disney brothers earned $1500 for it and soon the series Alice Comedies was a reasonable success. However, the idea of live performance and animation started losing popularity and the series ended in 1927. A year before that, Charles Mintz, who was the husband of Margaret Winkler and also the producer, ordered a new series to be produced through Universal Studios through Disney’s Studio. This led to the birth of “Oswald, The Lucky Rabbit”, which was an instant success. Its main character was drawn by Iwerks and the character became a popular figure. In February 1928, Walt Disney went to New York to meet the distributors, in order to negotiate higher fees for producing the Oswald series, but he got shocked to learn that Winkler and husband Mintz stole the rights to Oswald series along with most of Disney’s animators except Iwerks, who refused to switch allegiance.

Disney brothers and Iwerks didn’t lose hope and right away, they started creating a new character, based on a pet mouse that Walt adopted while working in Laugh-O-Grams studio in Kansas City. Walt and Roy, and their wives and Iwerks soon produced three new cartoons with it’s the main character called “Mickey Mouse“. All of Disney’s shorts were silent movies and the first short featuring Mickey Mouse was no different. It was called “Plane Crazy”, but Disney was unable to get any distributor for this short. So he produced another one called “The Gallopin’ Gaucho”, however that suffered the same fate as well. Not disheartened, Disney produced third short featuring Mickey, which was called “Steamboat Willie”. This time, however, it was not a silent movie. A businessman, Pat Powers saw the potential and agreed on taking the distribution. He also provided Disney with a Cinephone, which is a sound synchronization process. Soon his short Steamboat Willie became a big success.Disney applied the same tricks to his previous two Mickey’s shorts and those two shorts became a success as well. In the early 1930’s, Mickey Mouse overtook Felix, The Cat, as the most beloved cartoon character.

Walt Disney released a new musical shorts series in the year 1929, called the Silly Symphonies. It was entirely drawn and animated by Iwerks and the series became successful as well. At this time, however, Walt thought that he was not getting a good share of profits from Pat Powers, so in 1930, he signed a new deal with production house “Columbia Pictures”. By the year 1932, Mickey Mouse became a very popular character but Silly Symphonies started witnessing downfall in popularity. It was also the time when Mickey Mouse had a rival competition in Max Fleischer’s cartoon character Betty Boop which was being admired by theater audiences. In April 1931, Columbia Pictures dropped the distribution of Disney’s shorts but “United Artists” took in that job soon. In 1932, Herbert Kalmus completed his work on the first three-strip Technicolor movie camera. He got Disney interested in technicolor and soon Disney re-shot a black and white short of his in technicolor called “Flowers and Trees”. It became a super hit and went on to get it’s Academy Award for Best Short Subject: Cartoons. Soon, all Silly Symphonies cartoons were in color. Walt struck a deal with Technicolor for five years that he would have the sole rights to use the three-strip Technicolor process. In 1933, Disney created his most successful cartoon short of all time, labeled “The Three Little Pigs”. It’s song “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?” went on to become the anthem during the Great Depression. The cartoon ran for months in the theaters and soon Disney realized that the reason behind such a big success was the strong, emotionally gripping storyline in the cartoon. So he opened a “story department” in his studio, separate from his animators, who focused on building and developing great stories for the shorts production.

In November 1932, Walt Disney was awarded a special award for the creation of Mickey Mouse. Soon, the series was switched to color and all the supporting characters in the series like Donald Duck, Goofy, Minnie Mouse, Pluto came into existence. Donald Duck went on to become Disney’s second most popular and successful cartoon. On 21st December 1937, Disney released “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” which was premiered in Los Angeles and was the first full length animated movie in America, made in color with Disney’s quality expectations. It instantly became a huge success in the theaters earning over $8 million on its release. The movie earned Walt Disney a total of 8 Oscars and thus began what people called “The Golden Age of Animation” for the studio.

Walt Disney was able to open a new campus for the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank on December 24, 1939. While the Feature Animation staff worked on full-length feature projects like Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Wind in the Willows, the short staff kept working on shorts for Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and Pluto series. Disney’s animator, Fred Moore had to redesign Mickey Mouse during this period, as Donald Duck overtook Mickey in popularity charts. In 1940, they released Pinocchio and Fantasia, but both the movies failed and were financial setbacks for the studio. They tried to bounce back with an inexpensive feature called Dumbo, but during this period, Disney’s staff went on strike resulting in a major setback for the company. During the World War II, they released Bambi, but it also failed to perform. However, Disney re-issued Snow White in 1944 which was successful and resulted in his seven-year re-release tradition. After the war, Disney studio was able to recover enough to launch their feature animated movies Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. At this time though, Disney Studios shorts were losing popularity as people had a new favorite cartoon character called Bugs Bunny. But at the same time, Donald Duck’s popularity also rose making it replace Mickey Mouse as Disney’s star cartoon character.

Walt Disney once again paid attention on full length animated features and release Cinderella in the year 1950. At the same time, the also released a live-action film called Treasure Island. This was followed by the seven year reissue of “Alice in Wonderland” in 1951, “Peter Pan” in the year 1953, “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” in 1954, “Lady and the Tramp” in 1955, “Old Yeller” in 1957, “The Shaggy Dog” and “Sleeping Beauty” in 1959, “Pollyanna” “Swiss Family Robinson” in 1960, “The Absent-Minded Professor” “The Parent Trap”, “Babes in Toyland” “101 Dalmatians” in 1961 and Son of Flubber in 1963. “Mary Poppins” in 1964 was last major success that he produced himself.

Walt Disney used television media to great extent as well. His miniseries on Davy Crockett was a big hit. In 1955, when they started airing a new daily show called “The Mickey Mouse Club”, it was an instant hit with the children of all age. The show aired in various formats on TV until the late 90’s.

On a business trip to Chicago in the 40’s, Walt Disney got inspired for an amusement park. He began drawing sketches of his concepts and ideas. He envisioned this park to be a place where children could meet Disney’s employees. This concept later developed into a larger concept that would become Disneyland. Walt Disney spent 5 years into developing his amusement park. Disneyland finally opened on July 17, 1955, in Anaheim, California and in his speech, Disney said “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past … and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America … with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world”. He described the area of Fantasyland as “Fantasyland is dedicated to the young and the young in heart, to those who believe when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true.”

Disneyland became a huge success. Children along with families would come, enjoy rides, explore the park and meet the Disney’s cartoon characters. The business boomed in a very short time as Disneyland became a tourist attraction site mesmerizing many from around the world. Disneyland spread its operations and new Disney World was opened up in Orlando, Florida. It was way bigger than Disneyland and again a success. Till date, Disneyland has branched out and opened it’s operations globally in major cities of Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo with Shanghai’s Disneyland to be launched in June 2016.

By the year 1960, Walt Disney and his empire was a major success. His company Walt Disney Productions was a household name and it became the major producer of family entertainment.

Walt Disney was a chain smoker throughout his adulthood, however, he made sure never to be seen smoking in front of children. He was working on his plans for “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow” (EPCOT, in short), which was to be built in heart of the Disney World in Orlando. It was then that he discovered that he had lung cancer. 10 days past his 65th birthday, on December 15, 1966, Walter Elias Disney, died of circulatory collapse which was caused by lung cancer. He was also working on “The Jungle Book” before his death.

After Walt Disney’s death, his elder brother Roy Disney came out of retirement and took control of Walt Disney Productions and The WED Enterprises. At the inauguration of Walt Disney World Resort in the year 1971, Roy Disney said in his speech “Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney…and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place… the Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn—together.”

Walt Disney left behind a colossal legacy including numerous shorts and feature films, theme parks, an animation company, California Institute of Arts (CalArts) and not to forget the inspirations for millions of people to follow.

Post A Comment  Post A Comment - No CommentsComments RSS  Comments (RSS) Comments RSS

Lata Mangeshkar Biography

Posted On June 13th, 2015 By Celebrity Biographies

Lata Mangeshkar Biography

Lata Mangeshkar

Lata Mangeshkar better known as “Nightingale of India” is one of the most respected playback singers in India. She started her singing career in the year 1942 and the glorious journey of hers still continues. Lata Mangeshkar even received the Bharat Ratna Award, which is India’s highest civilian honor, in the year 2001 for her priceless contribution to the music industry for more than half a dozen decades.

Born on September 28, 1929, Lata Mangeshkar is the daughter of Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar who was a theater actor and classical singer and to mother Shevanti also known as Shudhamati, who was Deenanath’s second wife. Initially, Deenanath’s family name was Hardikar but he later changed it to Mangeshkar, to identify themselves with their native town of Mangeshi, in Goa, India. Lata Mangeshkar’s parents originally named her “Hema” but after playing the famous character of “Latika” in her father’s play “Bhaaw Bhandhan” she was later addressed as “Lata”. She is the eldest of all her siblings followed by Meena, Asha, Usha and Hridaynath in that order.

Lata Mangeshkar took her early lessons from her father. She started singing from a tender age of 5. She gained the knowledge of music from the most renowned singers of that time, like Aman Ali Khan Sahib and Amanat Khan and later from Pandit Tulsidas Sharma. Lata Mangeshkar’s father died of a heart disease when she was just 13 years old. After his death, Master Vinayak (Vinayak Damodar Karnataki), the owner of Navyug Chitrapat movie company and a close friend of Mangeshkar family helped Lata get started with her singing and acting career.  In the year 1942, Vinayak gave her a small role in Navyug Chitrapat’s Marathi movie “Pahili Mangalaa-gaur“.  In that movie, Lata san a song composed by Dada Chandekar, called “Natali Chaitraachi Navalaai”. However her first Hindi song “Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu” was in year 1943, in a Marathi movie called “Gajaabhaau“.

It was in the year 1945, that Lata Mageshkar moved to Mumbai, and started taking Hindustani classical lessons from Ustaad Amanat Ali Khan. However following the partition of India, Amanat Ali Khan migrated to Pakistan, so it was not viable to take any more lessons from him. So she continued her lessons under the guidance of Amanat Khan Devaswale and Pandit Tulsidas Sharma. Master Vinayak passed away in 1948 and the music director Ghulam Haider mentored her as a singer and gave her first major break with the song “Dil Mera Toda, Mujhe Kahin Ka Na Chhora” from the movie “Majboor”. This was after, when Lata Mangeshkar was rejected by producer Sashadhar Mukherjee who was then working on the movie “Shaheed” and he cited the reason for rejection that her voice is “too thin”. Agitated Ghulam Haider claimed that one day, producers and directors will fall on Lata’s feet and beg her to sing in their movies. Even in the year 2013, Lata Mangeshkar said that “Ghulam Haider is truly my Godfather. He was the first music director who showed complete faith in my talent.” In the year 1949, Lata Mangeshkar gave her first first major hit with the song “Aayega Aanewaala”, in the movie “Mahal”. The song was composed by music director Khemchand Prakash and lip-synced on screen by the very beautiful and talented actress “Madhubala”. After that, Lata Mangeshkar became a sensation and Ghulam Haider’s words came true. Everyone wanted Lata to sing for their movies. She has worked with the biggest music directors of India, and sung duets with the best of singers. Lata Mageshkar, in a span of seven decades, has sung songs for over thousand Hindi/Bollywood films and sung in 36 different Indian and foreign languages, although primarily in Hindi and Marathi.

In these glorious seven decades, Lata Mangeshkar was honored by multiple awards including Bharat Ratna (India’s Highest Civilian Award), Padma Bhushan (1969), Padma Vibhushan (1999), Dada Saheb Phalke Award (1989), Maharashtra Bhushan Award (1997), NTR National Award (1999), ANR National Award (2009), Three National Film Awards, and 12 Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards and 4 Filmfare “Best Female Playback Singer” awards. In order to let fresh talent come forward she even gave up her Filmfare Best Female Playback in 1969 which was indeed very unusual gesture. In the year 1993, she was presented with “Lifetime Achievement Award” by Filmfare. The state governments of two Indian states “Madhya Pradesh” and “Maharasthra” have instituted a Lata Mangeshkar Award in honor of Lata Mangeshkar.

All has not been so well in her life though. Padma Sachdev who used to regularly visit Lata’s recordings revealed in her book named “Aisa Kahan Se Laaoon” about a very sad incident where Lata was being given slow poison in the year 1962, which deteriorated her health and she was bed-ridden for 3 months. It was a close brush with death as she became very weak due to this incident. The cook who used to work at home, suddenly left after this incident, without taking wages. It is said that this cook used to work with some influential people of Bollywood back in the days. Perhaps, the success of Lata Mangeshkar was too much to handle for some competitor and they took such a step. Bollywood famous lyricist “Majrooh Sultanpuri”, used to visit Lata at her home on daily basis. He used to taste the food first and only examining it, he used to let Lata eat that food. He would then recite poems and stories to her to keep her in good spirits by humor.

In the year 1974, The Guinness Book of Records listed Lata Mangeshkar as the most recorded artist in the history, stating that she had reportedly recorded “not less than 25,000 solo, duet and chorus backed songs in 20 Indian languages” between 1948 and 1974. i.e. 25,000 songs in a span of 26 years. Some claimed that she has sung somewhere around 50,000 songs in her singing career but many believe it was exaggerated. This entry was later removed from The Guinness Book of Records due to lack of any documentary proof. The total proven recorded songs came out to be 5025 by the year 1991. To this Lata Mangeshkar herself stated that she does not keep a record of the number of songs recorded by her, and that she did not know from where Guinness Book editors got their information from. At present, this record according to The Guinness Book of Records, is held by Lata Mangeshkar’s younger sister, “Asha Bhosle”, who has been credited for recording up to 11,000 solo, duet and chorus-backed songs and in over 20 Indian languages since 1947, which is major feat for any singer.

On 27th January 1963, when India lost to China in the Indo-China war, Lata Mangeshkar sang the patriotic song “Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon Zara Aankh Me Barlo Pani” in the presence of the first Prime Minister of India, “Jawaharlal Nehru”. It is said that she moved him to tears when she sang the song.

Lata Mangeshkar has always been a simple, down to earth, gem of a person. Her trademark white sari draped casually and melodious voice defines the star she is. Apart from music, Lata Mangeshkar is really fond of perfumes and diamonds. She has even earned a privilege of having a permanent gallery reserved for her at Lord’s stadium from where she can enjoy the game of cricket whenever she gets time. She is undoubtedly the queen of playback singing for last seven decades and she has set a benchmark for generations to come. She is truly, “The Nightingale of India”.

Post A Comment  Post A Comment - No CommentsComments RSS  Comments (RSS) Comments RSS

Larry Page Biography

Posted On April 2nd, 2015 By Celebrity Biographies

Larry Page Biography

Larry Page

Larry Page, born as Lawrence Page is an American entrepreneur and a computer scientist. He along with his grad school friend, Sergey Brin, co-founded the Google Inc. in the year 1998. Google of course is the giant search engine which every internet user has heard of. Larry developed a ranking algorithm called PageRank which was used in the Google search results and consider to be one of the major ranking algorithm. Larry is currently the Chief Executive Office (CEO) of Google Inc. and also is the president of Google products and is responsible for Google day to day development and formulating product and services strategies. In a July 2014 issue of Bloomberg Billionaire Index, Larry Page was listed as the 17th richest man in the world with a net worth of $32.7 billion. He was also declared as the “Businessman of the year” in 2014 by Fortune Magazine. Larry Page is also a member of Board of Directors of the company, and has a keen interest in renewable energy and philanthropy. All his efforts has made Google as the most influential company of the digital era.

Early Life & Career

Lawrence Page was born to father Carl Vincent Page Sr. and mother Gloria. He was born on March 26, 1973, in East Lansing, Michingan, Unites States. Carl Page earned a Ph D. in computer science in the year 1965 and is considered as “pioneer of computer science and artificial intelligence”. He was a professor in Michigan State University while mother Gloria was an instructor in computer programming in the Lyman Briggs College in the same university.

With both parents as computer professionals, Larry Page had a keen interest in computers from the age of six. He used to play with the first generation personal computers, lying around in the home, left by his parents. With his elder brother’s help, Larry used to take apart the PC and other things in the home, just to see how it worked. His home was full of computer and science magazines, which increased his fascination for technology, even further. From the very early age, he knew, he wanted to invent things, making him very interested in business and technology. By the age of 12, he was sure of starting a company eventually, in the same field.

Larry studied in Okesmos Montessori School, Michigan from year 1975 and graduated in 1991 from East Lansing High School in Michigan. He pursued a Bachelor of Science degree in computer engineering, with honors, from University of Michigan. He later then enrolled for Master of Science in computer engineering from the Stanford University.

It was during his PhD. in Stanford University that Page was in search of a dissertation theme and considered exploring the mathematical properties of the World Wide Web, understanding its link structure as a huge graph. He completely focused on the problem of finding out which web pages link to a given page, considering the number and nature of such backlinks as valuable information for that page. It was then when he met Sergey Brin, a fellow Stanford University student, who joined Page’s research in 1995 and initially nicknamed this research and search engine as “BackRub”. The search engine was operated on Stanford servers for many many months. The duo of Larry Page and Sergey Brin also published a research paper back then, called “The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine”, which till date, is the most downloaded scientific paper of all time. To convert the backlink data gathered by BackRub’s web crawler into a measure of importance for a given web page, Brin and Page developed the ranking algorithm called the PageRank algorithm. They realized that it could be used to build a search engine far superior and advanced than those that existed back then. This new algorithm idea they had, relied on a new kind of parameters that analyzed the relevance of the backlinks that connected one Web page to another. Using their basic HTML programming skills, the duo Brin and Page, created a simple search page for it’s users. As their search engine grew popularity among Stanford users, they needed extra computer parts and servers to handle the necessary computing power to process the multiple queries. It was in 1996 that the initial version of Google (running still on Stanford servers) was made available to internet users.

The duo, called the search engine as “Google” which was derived from the mathematical term “Googol”, a term used for number 1 followed by 100 zeroes. It was to reflect their mission to organize the vast amount of data, their search engine was meant to explore on the web.

Larry Page and Sergey Brin, now saw the prospect in this project and decided to incorporate a company. Andy Bechtolsheim, co-founder of Sun Microsystems, wrote them a check of $100,00 to Google Inc., a company which was yet to come into existence. Raising a million dollar from family, friends and investors, Google Inc. was launched in September 1998. By the start of 2000, Google inc. office moved to the famous Mountain view office in heart of California’s silicon valley. Within months, Google had indexed more than one billion web pages on the web, making it the most comprehensive search engines of that time.

In 2001, Google Inc. hired Eric Schmidt as the CEO of the company while Larry page became the president of Google products and Sergey Brin became president of Google technology. Later in August 2004, Google Inc. held it’s first Intital Public Offering (IPO) which made both Larry Page and Sergey Brin, billionaires at the age of 30. In the same year, was found, which is the philanthropic wing of Google. They donate $100,000,000 each year, as on now, contributing towards challenging social issues and causes like global hunger and poverty.

In the year 2005, Larry Page led the acquisition of Android operating system for $50 million as his dreams was to enable every handheld computer users, so that they can access to Google search engine from anywhere. Larry page became passionate about the Android system and started to spend lot of time and effort into it. By 2010, Android became a market leader and one of the most popular operating system used on cell phones.

In April 2011, Larry Page officially became CEO of Google Inc. while Eric Schmidt stepped down to serve as the executive chairman of the company. As the new CEO of the company, his new goals were plain and simple. They were the development of greater autonomy for the executives overseeing the most important divisions, and higher levels of collaboration, communication and unity among the teams. He also declared a “zero tolerance for fighting” policy. By March 2013, at least 70 Google products and services were completely shutdown, while the remaining ones were unified on basis of appearance and nature. Larry started a project code-named “Kennedy” which was a project of “designing and developing a true UI framework that transforms Google’s application software into a beautiful, mature, accessible and consistent platform for its users.” All the remaining products were thus aligned with Larry Page’s aim of suite of products that can move fast. “Kennedy” project was a design revolution.

Larry Page has also ventured into computer hardware, with Google unveiling Chromebook laptop in May 2012. This laptop ran on Google’s own operating system called Chrome OS. He also is an investor with Tesla Motors. With a keen interest in renewable energy technology, Page promotes adoption of hybrid electric cars and other source of energy investments.

Awards and Achievements

in 1999, PC Magazine awarded Google, the Technical Excellence Award for innovation in web application development.

In the year 2002, Larry Page was named a “World Economic Forum Leader For Tomorrow” and jointly with Sergey Brin, was named by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)’s Technological Review Publication as one of the top 100 innovators of the world, under the age of 35. The list then was called TR100 but the name has now been changed to TR35.

In 2003, Larry Page received a MBA from IE Business School, in an honorary capacity, “for embodying the entrepreneurial spirit and lending momentum to the creation of new businesses.”

In the year 2004, Larry Page and Sergey Brin received the prestigious Marconi’s Foundation Prize, which is given to honour significant contributions in science and technology. They were also elected Fellow of the Marconi Foundation at Columbia University.

Again in 2004, Larry Page was chosen as a trustee of X PRIZE board and he was elected to the National Academy of Engineering.

In 2005, Both. Brin and Page were elected as Fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

In the year 2009, Larry Page received an honorary doctorate from the University of Michigan, during a graduation commencement ceremony.

Personal Life

Larry Page married Lucinda Southworth on Necker Island in the year 2007. Southworth is a research scientist by profession. She is the sister of actress and model Carrie Southworth. Larry Page and Southworth have two children, born in the year 2009 and 2011. Larry’s brother Carl Page Jr. is also an internet entrepreneur.

ALTHOUGH larry Page applied for the PhD in Stanford University, but he never got to complete it because of his business ventures, followed by Google’s responsibilities.

In 2014, Page was declared as the most daring CEO and the Businessman of the year by the Fortune magazine.

As Google’s Chief Executive Officer, Larry Page plans to make Google “a big company that has the nimbleness and soul and passion of a start-up.”

Post A Comment  Post A Comment - No CommentsComments RSS  Comments (RSS) Comments RSS

Phillip Joel Hughes Biography

Posted On March 29th, 2015 By Celebrity Biographies

Phillip Joel Hughes Biography

Phillip Joel Hughes

Phillip Joel Hughes was a tremendous Australian cricketer who shot into fame at a very young age.  He was a left handed batsmen and represented Australian team in both Test matches and One Day International. He also played domestic cricket for Worcestershire and South Australia. Phillip Hughes was a left handed opening batsmen who was drafted into Australia’s playing eleven and made his test debut in 2009, when he was merely 20 years old.

It was the tour of South Africa, just after the legendary Australian batsmen, Matthew Hayden announced his retirement, that Phillip Hughes was announced as his replacement. Facing the fiery pace of South African bowlers, Phillip got out on 0 (duck) in the very first inning he played, but came out strongly on top with his 75 in the next inning. it was no mighty feat, but the best was yet to come. The second match took place in Durban and Phillip Hughes scored a century in both of the innings. He scored 115 in the first inning, thus becoming Australia’s youngest centurion in Test match history. In the second inning he scored a 160 and he shot into fame overnight, becoming the youngest ever international player to achieve this feat of two centuries in consecutive innings of a match. This was the sign of a promising career to follow from a talented left handed batsmen.

In 2013, Phillip Hughes got a chance to play for Australia against Sri Lanka in One Day International cricket in Melbourne. He scored a fine century smashing Sri Lankan bowlers across the park in this ODI debut, another feat that not many have achieved. He did have some highs and lows in his career but his talent was noticed worldwide and he achieved lot of respect for the same.

On 25th November 2014, Phillip Hughes was playing Sheffield Shield match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. In a cruel twist of fate, Hughes was hit on the lower neck, by a bouncer bowled by Australian bowler Sean Abbott. Phillip immediately collapsed face first on the ground. He was taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney where it was found that the blow by cricket ball has caused vertebral artery dissection that led to a subarachnoid hemorrhage. He had to undergo an emergency surgery and was later placed in an induced coma in the Intensive Care Unit. However Phillip never regained consciousness and was declared dead on 27th November 2014, three days shy of his 26th birthday.

Australia won the following Cricket World Cup in 2015, which took place in month of February-March at Australia and New Zealand.  The then Australian cricket captain, Michael Clarke, dedicated this World Cup to Phillip Joel Hughes.

Early Life & Cricket Career

Phillip Joel Hughes was born on 30th November 1988 in Macksville, New South Wales, Australia. He was born to father Greg and an Italian mother, Virginia. Phillip played junior cricket for Macksville RSL Cricket Club where he outshone others so quickly, that he was playing A Grade cricket at age of 12. He was a talented Rugby player as well. But his interests lied in cricket. Five years later, he moved to Sydney and started playing for Western Suburbs District Cricket Club in Sydney Grade Cricket. He scored a century on his grade debut, scoring 141* not out. He amassed 752 runs in the season of 2006-07 at an average of 35.81 with a highest score of 142* not out. Soon after, Phillip Hughes played on a world level when he represented Australia in the Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup of 2008.

After scoring lot of runs for New South Wales junior cricket team, followed by Western Suburbs Grade cricket, Phillip was offered a rookie contract by New South Wales for the year 2007-08 season. On 20th November 2007, he played his debut first class game against Tasmania at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG). He scored  a fiery 51 along with two catches to start his glorious season for New South Wales. He was soon upgraded to a full state contract by New South Wales, when he helped his team win the Pura Cup, after he scored a match winning 116 of 175 balls. He was 19 years old at this time and he became the youngest player to make a century in Sheffield Shield final. He won the New South Wales Rising Star” award for his achievements.

Phillip Hughes was signed by Middlesex, soon after for the English county cricket season of 2009. Although it was a short term contract, but that didn’t dampen his spirits or performance by any means. He scored a total of 574 in his three first-class matches at an impressive massive average of 143.50.

In 2010-11, Phillip Hughes scored back to back century for New South Wales. His score in the two matches were, 54, 115, 138 and 93. A super impressive performance that made him the most potential replacement for Matthew Hayden, who was the star opening batsman for Australia International cricket team at that time.

On 26th February 2009, Phillip Hughes was called in to replace Matthew Hayden, as the opening batsman for Australia. His first match was against South Africa and was set at the New Wanderers Stadium at Johannesburg, South Africa. Dale Steyn, one of the finest bowlers of the era, took his wicket on the very fourth ball of the match. He got out for a duck on his international debut. But he came back strongly to score 75 in the second innings with the help of 11 fours and 1 six.

On 6th March 2009, the second test match was set at Sahara Stadium in Kingsmead, Durban. Hughes went onto score a fine hundred in the first innings and then another hundred in the second innings as well. Thus becoming the youngest cricketer ever to score a century in both innings. He was 20 years and 96 days old at that time. Upon his return from this South Africa tour, Macksville, his hometown cricket club, announced a “Phillip Hughes Award”, which was to be awarded every year to the most promising young cricketer from the district of Macksville.

After this period, Phillip Hughes had highs and lows in his career. He was often dropped from the team and replaced by Shane Watson, who opened the batting for Australia and also provided an extra bowling option. He played against Pakistan, England in the Ashes, and New Zealand in the year 2009-2010, but his performances were not very consistent and he was usually added in the team when someone got injured. The bowlers got better of him as they started to learn about his technique and Hughes was found short of runs and form. His inconsistency led him off the international team and back into first class cricket.

He was playing for Worcestershire on the English County Cricket, when Hughes made much needed efforts to change his batting technique and that resulted in more strokes in his batting armory. Soon after he left his home state, New South Wales and started playing for South Australia. His started accumulating runs again in the Sheffield Shield and also in the Ryobi Cup. With his new found form, he was recalled to the Australian Cricket Team to play test match against Sri Lanka at Hobart in December 2012. It was the retirement of Ricky Ponting, that led to his place in the playing eleven. Hughes didn’t disappoint as he scored quick 86 in that match, batting at number 3. With the new found confidence, he amassed a total of 233 runs at an average of 46.60, including two half centuries. He quickly cemented his place at number 3 in the Australian side and was set to receive a $1 million contract from Cricket Australia.

In the end of 2012/13 summer, in lieu of Michael Hussey’s retirement, Phillip Hughes was picked for Australia’s ODI Team as well as the T20 team. His place was confirmed in all three forms of cricket on 6th January 2013.  On his ODI debut against Sri Lanka, Hughes scored 112 off 129 balls before he was dismissed by Lasith Malinga. In the fifth match of the same series, Hughes scored a match winning knock scoring 138* not out off 154 balls. His stint however came to end when he scored only 147 runs in eight innings at the average of 18.37, in the series against India. He was picked for the Ashes 2013, but was dropped after two test matched because of his lack of form. That was the last test he ever played. He continued to play ODI for Australia against India, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Pakistan in the year 2013-14, and a single T20 match against Pakistan.

Personal Life

Not much has been shared about Phillip Hughes personal life. He was a great friend in particularly with teammate Michael Clarke, David Warner and the boxer Anthony Mundine. Family business was of banana farming. As mentioned before, Hughes was a good player of Rugby as well and he grew up with Macksville’s and Australia’s league rugby player, Greg Inglis.

In 2013 end, Hughes bought a huge land (nearly 220 acres) and some Aberdeen angus breed cattle, which is particularly used in beef production.


On 25th November 2014, Phillip Hughes was batting for South Australia against New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield, when a bowl from New South Wales bowler, Sean Abbott hit Phil, right on the neck. He was wearing a helmet, but the bowl hit on the unprotected area beneath the ear. He collapsed almost immediately and was rushed to St. Vincent Hospital in Sydney. After analysis, Hughes injury was described as a rare but sports related injury. It was a blunt cerebrovascular injury called a vertebral artery dissection which led to subarachnoid haemorrhage. Unfortunately Hughes never regained consciousness and died on the morning of 27th November 2014. The Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott, said “For a young life to be cut short playing our national game seems a shocking aberration. He was loved, admired and respected by his team-mates and by legions of cricket fans.”

Phillip Hughes funeral was held on 3rd December 2014 at his Macksville High School. Thousand of people followed the service at Macksville via news on televisions and social media like Facebook and Twitter.

On 29th March 2015, Australia won the ICC Cricket World Cup and dedicated the victory to Phillip Joel Hughes. Cricket Australia has also retired Australia’s ODI Jersey number 64, in remembrance of Phillip Hughes.

Post A Comment  Post A Comment - No CommentsComments RSS  Comments (RSS) Comments RSS

Al Gore Biography

Posted On September 29th, 2013 By Celebrity Biographies

Al Gore Biography

Al Gore

Al Gore is a former vice president of USA, who has served in The House as well as The Senate. He is the chairman of “Current TV”, an independently run, an award winning cable and satellite television network for young adults. It is a non-fiction network, solely based on citizen journalism and viewer-created content. He also leads a firm called the “Generation Investment Management”, focusing on a new method to sustainable investment.

Gore is a senior advisor to Google and is a member of the directory board of Apple. He chairs a non-profit organization, which works towards solutions for climate crisis, called “The Alliance For Climate Protection” and is a visiting professor at the MTSU (Middle Tennessee State University).

Gore was elected to the US Senate in 1984 and 1990 whereas he was elected for the House of Representatives in 1976, 1978, 1980 and 1982. On January 20, 1993, he was pledged as the 45th vice president of United States and served a term of 8 years. During his tenure, Gore was also a core member of Bill Clinton’s economic department. He served as a Cabinet member, member of the National Security Council, President of the Senate and headed a series of Administrative campaigns.

He became the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary and is an author of the bestsellers “An Inconvenient Truth” and “Earth In The Balance”. Along with the Intergovernmental Panel, Al Gore is a co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. He was appreciated for informing the world about the upcoming dangers of the climate change.

Early Life

Al Gore was born on March 31, 1948 as Albert Arnold Gore Jr. He was born in Washington DC to Pauline LaFon Gore and Albert Gore. His father Albert Gore served as a Democrat in the House from Tennessee and was also a part of the US Senate from 1953 to 1971. He was considered to be a possible nominee for the vice presidential elections from 1956 to 1960. On the other hand, his mother was the first female graduate from the Vanderbilt School Of Law.

Gore spent his childhood between hotel rooms in Washington and went to his family farm in summer, located in Carthage, Tennessee. He went to the Harvard and shared his room with future superstar Tommy Lee Jones. In June 1969, he earned his degree in government with high honors. His final thesis in college was one of the best works in his batch and discussed the impact of television on presidency conduct. Gore was an active participant in sports and also became the captain of his school football team. He showed great interest in painting and other forms of art.

Military Service

Al Gore was completely against the Vietnam War, however he mentioned that his sense of civic duty forced him to join the US Army in 1969. Gore was assigned to write for the base newspaper The Army Flier, as a military journalist, after some basic military training.

In November 1970, his father lost the re-election into the Senate, mostly due to his liberal opinions on issues involving Civil Rights and the Vietnam War. Gore was shipped to Vietnam, with 7 months left in his enlistment in January 1971. He served as a Army Engineer Command and as an Engineer Brigade in Long Binh and Bien Hoa respectively.


After returning to United States in 1971, Gore worked as a reporter for The Tennessean. He was later promoted to the city politics team where he uncovered bribery and political cases, which led to convictions. While working at the Tennessean, Gore also studied phenomenology and philosophy at the Vanderbilt University. He enrolled into the Vanderbilt School of Law in 1974.

In order to run for the US House from Tennessee, he quit the law school in March 1976. After being elected four times, he also became the first individual to feature on C-SPAN. Once Howard Baker, the Republican Majority Leader, vacated a seat in the US Senate, Gore successfully ran for it. In 1991, Gore pushed the Computer and Communication Act, which later led to the expansion of the Internet.

Vice Presidency

Al Gore made a bid, in 1988, for the Democratic presidency nomination. In spite of winning five southern states on a Super Tuesday, he still lost to Michael Dukakis. Gore stayed in the Senate until Bill Clinton, the presidential candidate in 1992, chose him as a running mate. They made it to the office that year and were re-elected in the year 1996.

During his time, he worked to cut down on government bureaucracy, however his reputation suffered when there was an investigation by the Justice Department, questioning his fund-raising campaigns.

Gore Vs Bush

Facing a primitive challenge by Bill Bradley, a former Senator, Gore won the presidential nomination in 2000. Gore picked Joseph Lieberman from Connecticut as his running mate, who was apparently the first Jew to ever receive a ticket for the National Party. Gore received the popular vote but accepted defeat against Republican George Bush. This was one of the most dramatic presidential elections in the United States, involving five weeks of complicated legal argument about the presidential voting and election procedures.

Personal Life

Al Gore was married to Tipper, and has four children. However the couple called it an end in 2010, after forty years of marriage. Currently, Gore is dating Democratic Party supporter and fellow environmentalist Mary Elizabeth Keadle. He now spends his time between his homes in San Francisco, Nashville and Tennessee.

Post A Comment  Post A Comment - No CommentsComments RSS  Comments (RSS) Comments RSS

Bookmark Us Now

Categories Blogroll Meta